Irish Rat Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sneezing!?

3 posters

Go down

Sneezing!? Empty Sneezing!?

Post by Wee D Sun May 26, 2013 8:13 am

Is it normal for new rats to sneeze? Obviously I'm a first time owner. I got my little guys yesterday and one of them is sneezing quite abit. Is this him getting used to new surroundings and smells or something serious?
Wee D
Wee D

Back to top Go down

Sneezing!? Empty Re: Sneezing!?

Post by Zoundz Sun May 26, 2013 8:40 am

Hello! Smile

Have removed the duplicate topic for you Grin

Sneezing is not uncommon in young rats, even to some excess, especially as they settle in. It *usually* occurs in the more immuno-suppressed varieties such as British Blue or Russian Silver (or other varieties in lines working towards these varieties), however it can happen in any rat.

How old are they and where are they from?

xx
Zoundz
Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.irishrats.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by smokierat Sun May 26, 2013 10:02 am

What she said Smile if its just sneezing and no other signs of illness theen i wouldnt worry too much.If the rat is active,bright,eating and drinking,responsive ,no noisy breathing etc i would just keep an eye on it.
smokierat
smokierat

Back to top Go down

Post by Wee D Sun May 26, 2013 5:32 pm

Thanks for replying :-) they are 16 weeks old and I purchased them from pet store ( not sure if I'm allowed to name the pet store?) Both males. Both really friendly and sweet, have been getting lots of licks from both :-) think that's a good thing?
Wee D
Wee D

Back to top Go down

Post by Wee D Sun May 26, 2013 6:03 pm

Oh I think one is Berkshire and the other is hooded :-)
Wee D
Wee D

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz Sun May 26, 2013 7:43 pm

Pictures always help Grin

Petshops would not be the best places to buy from really, due to the way the animals are bred, transported and kept - it can cause all sorts of temperament and health trouble (Even later on in life) but yes, licking you is a great start, and I'm sure that at least in temperament they will be perfect with the right care and attention from you Smile seems like it's going that way already! Grin

Health wise it could be all manner of things - if it's just sneezing and there's no pigeony noises or rattles for now, then I would just keep an eye on it and hope it's just a kitten phase Smile

xx
Zoundz
Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Wee D Sun May 26, 2013 9:55 pm

How do I attach a pic? Hello btw, sorry I just popped up asking questions and never introduced myself! I'm Diana and proud new mummy to spongebob and Patrick (names chosen by son!)
Well both boys seem great except the sneezing. They come out onto my hand but keep back legs in cage....should I lift them out or let them come out on their own. Both except treats from hand and even come to the door for food when I make a noise :-)
Wee D
Wee D

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz Sun May 26, 2013 10:05 pm

There should be instructions on how to put pictures up in the forum help section Smile ideally you need a photobucket account, or similar (photobucket seems easiest), you need to upload the photos, and then attach them to the post you make using the IMG tags Smile Hopefully someone better at explaining things can come and make it sound less complicated! Embarrassed Roll Eyes Laugh

xx
Zoundz
Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Wee D Sun May 26, 2013 10:07 pm

:-)Thanks! ill have a wee look and get onto photo bucket. Glad I found this site. Great help and very informative. Friendly too :-)
Wee D
Wee D

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down