Irish Rat Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Trying a Shunamite Diet in Ireland - what are our options?

5 posters

Go down

Trying a Shunamite Diet in Ireland - what are our options? Empty Trying a Shunamite Diet in Ireland - what are our options?

Post by DJF Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:13 pm

Hey,

My rats are fed a commercial rat mix. I mix two of the JR Farm rat products together (JR Farm Feast [12.4% protein, 4.5% fat] and JR Wellness [13.1% protein, 3.4% fat]). Additionally, I add dried echinacea, dandelion, field herbs, dried parsely, dried basil, garlic flakes, barley, seaweed powder/nori sheets and some linseed. They also get a 'just-in-case' supplement of Daily Rat 3 (for copper, calcium and vitamin D) and Dr. Squiggles twice a week. Dr. S is added to their water and DR3 is added to their souped-up baby food wet meal. Their mix comprises about 50%-60% of their daily intake and the rest is vegetables and sometimes a little fruit. Occasionally, they get some chicken meat, chicken bones or fish.

I want to try a Shunamite mix - a base rabbit food, kibble (but will likely use dried insects/sea creatures instead) and cereals. To this I would continue to add extra unprocessed grains (or rolled) and the dried plant matter.

The problem - which suitable rabbit food bases are available in Ireland? I would love one with a range of ingredients but most stockists here seem to have only the Burgess Excel brands - which, from what I can gather, all have wasteful alfalfa pellets. Any suggestions? Also, regarding cereals, which are the blandest brands with the least sugar and salt, preferably none, added? I went browsing in my local Tesco and all cereals seem to be so unhealthy (I only really eat porridge myself).

Thanks,
Darren.
DJF
DJF
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Trying a Shunamite Diet in Ireland - what are our options? Empty Re: Trying a Shunamite Diet in Ireland - what are our options?

Post by Tribble Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:40 am

You will not find a rabbit food without grass pellets... some rats like em though.
We use Tesco own brand cereals for our mix; either the multi-grain hoops or occasionally the rice puffs. Fun fact, the hoops have the lowers sugar of all the cereals at about 19% (at least as far as we remember). The hoops have a rat on the box, that's why our guys prefer it *nods seriously*.
The Tesco rabbit food is actually really good quality too, whole squashed peas n everything! Although, we use a brand that Ben gets in work at Pet Stop, comes in huuuuge bags they divide up and sell separately. King's somthingorother, or anipet or .....aristocrat?
The only cereal we found with close to 10% sugars was Lidl cornflakes I think... but they break up a LOT and they guys aren't a fan of jumbo oats, whick also break up and coat everything in dust.

Tribble

Back to top Go down

Trying a Shunamite Diet in Ireland - what are our options? Empty Re: Trying a Shunamite Diet in Ireland - what are our options?

Post by smokierat Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:33 am

We use mr johnsons supreme rabbit food as the base-there is that little bit of alfalfa wastage but nothing major.We use the lowest sugar cereals we can find,tescos cheapest used to be good but last time i checked the rebranded ones and theyve gone up in sugar so lidls and aldis are the best option-shredded wheat is good,lidl cornflakes,'normal' cornflakes -we check the sugar content every time we buy and get the lowest.We feed fresh protein-egg,egg white for the oldies(very little) ,tinned fish,chicken and chicken bones.We occasionally add pasta to the mix too,depending how fat eveeybodies looking!And fresh veg,fruit less often and natural yohgurt,flaxseed oil and the occasional supplement.
smokierat
smokierat

Back to top Go down

Post by soulphish Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:50 am

I can't find a dog kibble that my girls will eat. Tried the Shunamite diet, and they left almost all of it. They ate the cereal, and pasta. Thats it.

Found a rabbit food that they seem to eat now, Its not a brand one though, get it in a small pet store in Limerick, in a clear bag. I don't know who makes it, I'm not at home at the moment, so I can't tell you right now. I will let you know tomorrow maybe. Smile There doesn't seem to be any waste yet. I don't think there is alfalfa anyway.

Must try and restart the diet again. What kibble do all of you use?
soulphish
soulphish

Back to top Go down

Post by JinX Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:17 am

I made a mix without dog kibble, it has dried mealworms in it though. I give them chicken or fish a few times a month (or a boiled egg, they love that) so they get everything they need.
JinX
JinX

http://www.EchteKerels.nl

Back to top Go down

Post by DJF Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:57 am

Thanks guys - I am going to use up the remainder of the current base and try and get my hands on Johnson's Supreme. I have yet to find it in Dublin but there must be someplace. Excel seems to have a monopoly on rabbit food!
DJF
DJF
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down