Irish Rat Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Worried about Cash - big lump :(

4 posters

Go down

Worried about Cash - big lump :( Empty Worried about Cash - big lump :(

Post by limerickrats Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:39 am

I'm worried about Cash - I've just discovered she's very suddenly developed a big lump on her thigh -
literally in the last 24 hours. It's apricot-sized maybe? It doesn't seem to bother her when I manipulate it and she's her usual self. It's not very soft and feels like an irregular shape within the skin, rather than under it, if that makes sense? Could it be a haematoma? And if not? Sad

Anyone know of a good rodent vet in Cork? I can bring her with me tomorrow.

Might be offline but if anyone can pass on info I'm at 086 8644084.

Thanks everyone Cry

Aisling
limerickrats
limerickrats

Back to top Go down

Worried about Cash - big lump :( Empty Re: Worried about Cash - big lump :(

Post by Zoundz Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:14 pm

Sounds like an abscess, I wouldn't worry about it too much - can you post a photo? May need lancing and draining by a vet, but then keeping clean, not stitching up. Will look very nasty, but it's much better open.

We have a list of recommended vets on here. I have no credit to text you right now, but if someone else can... Smile

xx
Zoundz
Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.irishrats.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by limerickrats Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:24 am

I had her in St. John's with me today so Bill the vet took a look - he says it's a tumour. (She was so good for him! It's not hurting her at all.) I looked at the list of recommended vets for ratty care and Bill's practice in Glanmire is one of them - Cashman & O' Driscoll? (Or is it O' Driscoll & Cashman?). Anyways I can bring her out there this evening and one of the vets will aspirate it.

I would very much like it to be a simple aul' abscess. Sad Even if it's a benign tumour, don't these things keep coming back? Cry
limerickrats
limerickrats

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:32 am

Benign ones don't always come back. Even cancerous ones not always. If it's a big lump come up that suddenly I would be *very* surprised if it's a tumour - and if it is - then it's likely to be an agressive cancer, and I would think about putting to sleep when quality of life suffers, which judging by rate of growth would be very soon - but I really do think it sounds abscessy - tumours don't grow that quickly only in very very rare cases.

Can you get a photo?

xx
Zoundz
Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by limerickrats Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:54 am

Thanks for the reassurance Laura x x x x

I can get a photo tomorrow night when we get home to Limerick. Going on the assumption it's just an abscess, I could get it aspirated at the vets on Wednesday where I have work experience, but then she'd have to spend the day in the little travel carrier from 8am to 6pm, do you think that would be ok? Actually I am sure the vets wouldn't mind me putting her in one of the shoreline cages if there's one free.

Failing that I can take her to my own vet on Thursday morning on my way to Cork. Is that leaving it too late? My vet doesn't work on Tuesday evening so Cash can't be seen til Wednesday at the earliest. I guess there is a chance the abscess could burst and drain itself before then? Shocked

Will hopefully have a pic for you anyways tomorrow night.

Thanks again Embarrassed
limerickrats
limerickrats

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:02 am

Pic will help - just keep a close eye on it Smile

she should be oK in a travel carrier too as long as she has some fluid source Smile
xx
Zoundz
Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by smokierat Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:36 am

Hope your little one will be okay,fingers crossed its an easily sorted out abcess Smile if you are still looking for good vets in Cork,i go to Gillabbey Veterinary Hospital (ask for pat) but it can be expensive.Ive heard very good things about Suzanne in Abbeyville vets too in Togher,hope that helps Smile
smokierat
smokierat

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:22 am

And of course, Denis in Brookpark, Dunmanway Smile

xx
Zoundz
Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by smokierat Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:08 am

oh definatly :)He would be my preference,just that bit too far away for us sometimes, i just assume people mean the city unless they mention somewhere specific like West Cork Embarrassed Smile
smokierat
smokierat

Back to top Go down

Post by limerickrats Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:18 am

Not good news guys. Sad

My own vet Andrea had a look at her tonight. Bill Cashman had already said he thought it was a tumour, and Andrea agrees. It doesn't feel like an abscess and it is attached to the skin. Andrea said it was inoperable because there wouldn't be enough skin left to close the incision. So we gave her a shot of prednisolone and after that it's just a case of wait and see. Cry She was an absolute legend in the vets - Andrea spent so long feeling the lump that Cash started to nod off to sleep in my hands. What a little star!

I don't really want to think about it beyond the here and now - can't deal with it just yet.
limerickrats
limerickrats

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:59 am

Sad I have to say, from your photo it looked tumoury - but so very very fast growing! Sad

What was the pred for? I don't see what use steroids would be? Did she explain why she gave that?

xx
Zoundz
Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by limerickrats Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:34 am

Hey Laura,

The prednisolone has an anti-inflamm. effect and can reduce the size of the lump, albeit temporarily.
She is still in great form, eating as normal and bombing around the place, thank god.
limerickrats
limerickrats

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:26 am

I suppose it could - though I don't see the benefit for a tumour! Anyway, ignore me and my curious musings.

Glad to hear she's doing well Smile Option is still there if you want to bring her for us to look over, but we're away from Wednesday.

Hope she continues to be OK Smile

xx
Zoundz
Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by redrach Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:32 pm

Poor Cash ):
Hope she is doing okay.
Hugs from our lot to her.
redrach
redrach
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by limerickrats Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:41 am

Just an update on Cashie,

She is booked in for a lumpectomy next Wednesday. The tumour grew bigger over Christmas - just hoping I haven't left it too late but I dithered, hoping it would be slow-growing. It's the size of half a satsuma/clementine now. My own vet felt surgery was not an option but this vet that I do work experience with is more optimistic. She treats exotics and has done a ratty lumpectomy before. I hope I am making the right choice for Cash and that the toll of the surgery on her will be worth it.

I think I am going to have to consider adding a third rat to the family. I couldn't bear the thoughts of Tola being on her own if the worst happened. Maybe when Cash is recovered in a couple of weeks it is something to think about for the future. I am not sure how well new introductions go between does?

Last edited by limerickrats on Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:47 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : typo)
limerickrats
limerickrats

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:02 am

Introductions do go very well Smile I'm sure Cash will come through the op fine, most does seem to do very well Smile and I'm also sure that you'll not have too much trouble with introductions. Always here if you want any advice or help! Smile

xx
Zoundz
Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by limerickrats Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:30 am

Thanks Laura! Kiss

Would love a third ratty to love if one comes up needing a home, or a Bongo Fury baby. Love

I adore rats since these two girls came into my life - I couldn't be without them now! Grin

I keep telling my classmates how attached I am to them. I mean, I've had rescued hamsters and gerbils before and I loved them all, but not like this! They mean as much to me as the dogs, and that says a lot!
limerickrats
limerickrats

Back to top Go down

Post by smokierat Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:19 am

Good Luck with the Op next Wed,we'll all have our fingers crossed here Smile im considering the same option for our girl Tuffy at the moment,as she has now got two lumps but im not sure how she'll do as her condition isnt as good as it used to be Meh i would definatly recommend considering expanding your rattie family Smile i would suggest possibly two if your cage is big enough because it can take the pressure off the intros a bit,as the newbies have each other to play with..thats why im getting two new girls soon,to keep my two,Smokie and Noodles company as they get that bit older i dont want anyone left on their own.
smokierat
smokierat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down