Irish Rat Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How long?

2 posters

Go down

How long? Empty How long?

Post by redrach Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:22 am

Today I've put Albie and Chandler into the retirement/holiday cage.
Albie's "hurt" one of his front paws, I say "hurt" because I really can't figure out if he's actually hurt it or if it's neurological.
Either way, we'd been thinking of putting the two of them into the retirement cage every few days to give them a break from the wee boys, mainly because the younger lads jump all over Albie sometimes and when we went away for the weekend a few weeks ago they really seemed to enjoy the break from the lads. I was thinking maybe one day in every three as I don't want them to have to be there full-time and I don't want them to forget each other and start fighting..

Anyway, how long can they be apart before they start to forget each other, or start to re-assert dominance? I was hoping to keep them in there for a few days, but we're going away at the weekend again and taking Albie and Chandler, so is 6 days too long?

I do think Albie would be much better suited to the retirement cage in the long-term, but I don't want Chandler to be too restricted or for the young boys to forget him... Would it be better to keep Albie there long-term and just have Chandler go between the two? Would Albie be okay on his own some days?
I really worry about him ): But at the same time I don't want to limit Chandler or to have to re-intro him when Albie's not here anymore ):

Any thoughts are appreciated.
redrach
redrach
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

How long? Empty Re: How long?

Post by Zoundz Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:16 am

I would take Chandler out for an hour or so to be with his friends every day Smile the length of time they can be away from each other without having trouble on re-introduction will be different for every rat.

xx
Zoundz
Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.irishrats.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by redrach Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:43 am

Ah, so keep them in the retirement cage and let chandy go see the wee men an hour or two a day?
Do you think Albie should be in retirement cage full-time now?
redrach
redrach
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:04 am

I personally would Smile

xx
Zoundz
Zoundz
Administrator