Irish Rat Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What do you do with your rats when you go away?

+2
GillianK
Dangerousbeans
6 posters

Go down

What do you do with your rats when you go away? Empty What do you do with your rats when you go away?

Post by Dangerousbeans Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:31 pm

Just curious, what do you do with your rats when you go away?

We had planned on asking friends to come in and spend maybe an hour petting and feeding them, every day. Its only 9 days so we figured it wouldn't be a problem.
But now my daughter is getting nervous about it, none of her friends(except the one away for the whole summer Roll Eyes ) are that confident holding or handling them, and we have no family nearby.
Turns out many people aren't fond of rats.

Dangerousbeans

Back to top Go down

What do you do with your rats when you go away? Empty Re: What do you do with your rats when you go away?

Post by GillianK Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:22 pm

I'm going to Majorca for 7 nights next week, and my girls are being looked after by a friend of mine (who used to keep rats) I had another offer to take my girls from another girl on this forum too. I'd take care of them for you but I live quite a distance from you. Maybe someone closer to you might be able to take them.
GillianK
GillianK
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

What do you do with your rats when you go away? Empty Re: What do you do with your rats when you go away?

Post by redrach Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:51 pm

If it's 3 days or less I just pile up their food, add an extra water bottle or bowl and set up my security camera so I can spy on them and make sure they're okay.
More than 3 days and I send them off to someone else who has rats. None of our friends or family would even open the cage to feed them, so although the people I'd send them too might only get them out once or twice in a week I'm happy that they're at least getting fed and they will notice if they're sick.
I'd recommend sending them to someone else who has rats if it's 9 days, because at least they will get out a few times and they will notice if they are unwell etc.
If you can get them to me and can provide food, bedding and a small fee I can take them.
redrach
redrach
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:04 am

We have all sorts of methods! Smile my mum drops in to feed them, I have friends that do too... the last time we were away my brother and his girlfriend house-sat for us. If I have any that need real medication or are on babies, I send them to very rat savvy friends etc Smile

We also take in rat-sits for people (and do rather a lot of it!), and we operate the way we and everyone else in the UK seemed to - we certainly don't charge, but it's nice if people bring gifts back (and we do the same, bring gifts for people to say thank you!). We also happily provide food and bedding because we have heaps here anyway, but we're happy to use the rat's own diet if it's different Smile

xx
Zoundz
Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.irishrats.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by EssDubya Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:05 am

I'm in Carlow Town and would be happy to mind them for you if needed??

EssDubya

Back to top Go down

Post by Dangerousbeans Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:13 am

Thanks for all the kind offers, redrach you're a bit far away, but Carlow isn't far, so essdubya I may get back to you.
Currently waiting for someone to call in tomorrow and see how it goes. Will let you know.
Was just curious, cats and dogs go to kennels and cattery, but haven't had smallies since my teens in the UK, and all my friends had them too. Here small animals aren't that popular, only know 4 people with GP's and a couple with rabbits, none of them are keen on the rats!

Dangerousbeans

Back to top Go down

What do you do with your rats when you go away? Empty Rat in Cork

Post by titilepiaf Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:24 am

Hi !

I have the same problem, that's to say I am going abroad for a bit more than two weeks (from 17/08 to 4/9) and am looking for someone close to Cork city (where i am living) to take care of my baby (male of almost one year)

It's a bit late to ask, but I have been asking my entourage, confident... And it seems to be more difficult than i thought.

If someone could that be that person to bring him the affection i use to give him every day... I would be very grateful.

Titi

titilepiaf

Back to top Go down

Post by Dangerousbeans Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:29 pm

Just to update, we're back and all is well.
Returned to two fat little ratties!
My daughters friend came in every day and gave fresh water, dandelions, pods of peas from my garden, home made brown bread, bits of veg and pasta etc left over from her dinner, plums, and lots of other delicious foods. She also gave them their dry mix, but they only ate about half what they normally do.
They seemed perfectly happy to see us and just as if we were only gone a day.
All in all a great success!

Dangerousbeans

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down