Irish Rat Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anybody interested in young rats?

5 posters

Go down

Anybody interested in young rats? Empty Anybody interested in young rats?

Post by dani. Sun Sep 21, 2014 2:41 am

I suspect I have an accidental litter on the way, in about 2 weeks. Hubby put my non neutured yet male into his girlfriends cage, and they were together overnight. Can't confirm anything yet, but trying to prepare myself.

I have a lovely big cage, and can keep a few babies, but would like in total to have only 6 rats, so looking a few potential owners.

My male is hairless, and so far very healthy, his previous owner could no longer keep him, and he started life with a feeder breeder. My 2 females are hairy, and came from Pets At home adoption scheme. A family had brought them in with their hairy siblings. I don't know anything else about their background.

My females are shy, still taming. They are good natured - will come happily for treats, but are not quite comfortable with me yet - only had them for a few weeks. Male is super friendly!! Loves to climb all over me, and to snuggle in at my neck.

Anyone who is interested is very welcome to come and see the parents.

I can also travel with the youngsters, when they are ready, to meet new owners.

I live in Co Tyrone, but can travel south or wherever.

As Daddy is hairless, there may be some hairless babies - I'm really not sure how that works.

Anyone interested?

dani.

Back to top Go down

Anybody interested in young rats? Empty Re: Anybody interested in young rats?

Post by Zoundz Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:01 am

Why on earth did he put them in together?! Confused Confused

Good luck with homing them. Be sure to read up well on their feeding, and care around birth particularly. I presume from your post that it's possible you have 2 litters on the way?

xx
Zoundz
Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.irishrats.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Tribble Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:44 am

If you don;t get any others, we would be happy to care for them. We recently lost our guys and would be delighted to have more.
Based off your location, we understand that you would not want to travel this far south, not only due to the stress it would put on the youngsters but the time and effort it would take.
Best of luck with everything Smile

Tribble

Back to top Go down

Post by dani. Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:16 pm

I have been reading around about the babies - want to make sure that any babies that appear are happy and healthy, as well as the mummy / mummies.

My boy is now booked into see the vets - don't want any more accidents!

Tribble - I see on the forum there is an option for rats to be transported from England, so i'm guessing if its done properly, the stress to the rats can be minimised. I don't mind the full drive - although if you can meet me half way that would be great. I would be aiming to rehome any babies at 8 weeks old.

If babies come, I'll post up pictures, and updates on their progress.

dani.

Back to top Go down

Post by hyadaruko Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:49 pm

It's impossible for me to travel anywhere outside Limerick City but if you ever do end up here, I would be interested in taking in a rat Smile

hyadaruko

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:57 am

You'd need to take more than one Wink rats should always be kept in pairs or groups Smile

xx
Zoundz
Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by dani. Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:32 am

I have definitely got babies on the way - one of my girls is huge!!!!

I gave the cage a full clean a few days ago, will be spot cleaning daily for the next few weeks, just a bit at a time to keep girls calm and prevent freaking them out.

Wee piles of food and bedding have been added yesterday and today - all extras on top of usual rations.

Have to confess I am feeling a bit excited!!! (Wee bit guilty also - this wasn't the plan!) My boy is now no longer able to make babies. Next task is to keep a very careful eye on babies, get them sexed and separated as appropriate, and take to vet if necessary.

For all those who are interested, babies will make a great xmas present to youself. I'm planning on rehoming about the 3rd week in December - assuming all babies are born by this day week. That should make them about 9 weeks old.

I would prefer to rehome them in at least pairs - to ease the transition, as well as to be long term buddies together.

MMMM must work out how to put pictures up.

dani.

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:57 am

Please do not home them at Christmas - it is the *worst* time to do so. I would hold onto them until January.

There is plenty of advice here on feeding and raising litters. The mothers do not need extra rations before birth, it will only make them fat and less healthy.

Please please please *ONLY* rehome in pairs or larger groups - do not give out lone rats under any circumstances.

xx
Zoundz
Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Anybody interested in young rats? Empty Sadly we migh need to hug one soon

Post by Joanna K Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:33 am

Our beloved Dumbo albino rat Toubab is 3 years  and 4 months old. It looks like she had a stoke and struggle with balance. She seem fine (happy) but getting weaker. Sad So we might need a new company for naughty Fancy hooded Crumble (2.5) soon Sad . Preferably Dumbo girl too. Galway or around Sad

Joanna K

Back to top Go down

Post by dani. Wed Oct 08, 2014 7:31 am

Babies arrived yesterday. They are warm and active, Mum looks well. I don't know how many yet - just been doing quick peeks, don't want to disturb the nest for a few more days. Poor Daddy is tucked up on my shoulder, think he's feeling a bit left out - is no longer the centre of attention.

Galway, cork and limerick - looks like a day trip is needed. Don't fancy that entire drive myself. Looking at Google maps, and Galway and Limerick are much the same distance for me, so could meet up either or? What do you think?

Babies are all free - I want them to go to good homes, and am not looking money for them.

It is a good point about the xmas pet - hadn't really thought much about it. I know lots of species of pet are bought at xmas, and need rehomed once novelty wears off. Hoping those on the forum have enough sense to think over the responsibility fully before taking on new ratties. I'm not in a hurry to rehome them, I'm planning on one travel day to suit myself and all others involved, any time after babies are old enough to leave Mum.

Anyone thinking of taking on a baby is very welcome to come visit to see parents, and my rattie set up, or to ask someone who knows about rats to visit on your behalf.

Joanna, sorry to hear about Toubab's health. I had a trio of girls a few years ago, broke my heart when their health went downhill in their 3rd year. Still very much missed.

dani.

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:44 pm

The main thing to remember is that this is not a private forum, there are a lot of members and we cannot vouch for them, it's very possible that there are feeder breeders on here, or pet shops etc - people who may well see these babies as an easy meal or a quick buck - so be very very careful, ask lots of questions, do charge, and donate the money to rescue if you don't feel comfortable keeping it - but charging is important, because it places some value on the animals, rather than them being freebies with no worth... people are pretty horrid creatures by and large!

xx
Zoundz
Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Anybody interested in young rats? Empty 2 Females

Post by Joanna K Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:51 pm

To our shock Crumble past away suddenly last night, Toubab seem to be doing ok considering her age. We are still in shock but I think would like to get two females if you still have them, We can meet in Limerick no prob. Are they Dumbo by any chance? you can contact me on joanna.k.artist at gmail.com Cry

Joanna K

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down