Irish Rat Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

boys or girls?

4 posters

Go down

boys or girls? Empty boys or girls?

Post by redrach Sat Oct 15, 2011 5:30 am

A typical question really, and obviously they are exceptions to the 'boys are lazy and girls are active', but;
If you only have one gender why did you choose that gender (if you did).
If you have both, do you prefer one?

I have boys and girls.
I initially got 2 boys, they were on gumtree and I had no preference regarding gender. I ended up with girls because my vet missexed my next two 'boys' and I didn't want to part with them after putting them through having babies.
Someday I hope to only have one gender so that I can open the srs up and give them more room and more time as it means only one freerange etc. I can't decide though which gender. I love my girls, they're all typical girls who has so much energy and can't stay still. And I love my boys, my older original ones don't like cuddles much or brux or boggle much like the boys i often hear about (i think they had a tough time at their last home & never really got too used to me being nice Wink they've came around a lot, but they aren't cuddly). My younger boys are pretty much typical boys though, although still young and hyper, and i imagine when they hit adulthood they'll be all over me for cuddles.
redrach
redrach
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

boys or girls? Empty Re: boys or girls?

Post by Zoundz Sat Oct 15, 2011 9:25 pm

I could never be without both! Both sexes are fabulous in their own ways, and so I need my pingy girls to make me laugh and keep me on my toes, and I need my big soppy boys to give me cuddles and cheer me up! Grin

xx
Zoundz
Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.irishrats.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Catz Sun Oct 16, 2011 1:35 am

I want to eventually have a group of 3 boys and all from a reputable breeder so they can have full run of the SRS. I like male animals in general but my OH prefers females. That explains why we have a female ferret and dog. I have said our next rats will be boys and he's getting used to the idea.
Boys are lovely and cuddly and tend to be larger which is nice. I will give credit to my girls though as they are much cleaner and feel silky compared to my messy lads.
I already have the names I want picked out for my next boys Smile
Catz
Catz
Mentor
Mentor

Back to top Go down

Post by redrach Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:46 am

i'm tempted to go for just boys in the future, but like yourself i love sikly girls & that they're petite, not big monsters Grin
redrach
redrach
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by Francois Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:04 am

I had quite a few boys and girls and I tend to lean towards the boys for being silly ogre-type and ill-mannered cuddle chunks, but the girls are so smart and delicate in comparison to the boys and also very soft and cute...

Jack and Ted are still in their rat-teens, so they are still all over the place. Shiva is still keeping us in suspense, with some days showing all signs of being pregnant and other days its like it all disappeared.. the suspense is killing us, but she would be popping any moment this week.... Smile

Francois
Deactivated
Deactivated

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:42 pm

Have you got any photos of her Francois? Photos of her belly perhaps? We might be able to tell if she's pregnant Smile

xx
Zoundz
Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Francois Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:16 pm

Unfortunately I couldn't make any photos (as we are in the middle of a move)

We brought the ratties over to tour new home yesterday and it seems they fully agree that having a rat proofed room to free range has their approval Smile

However, I spotted some behavior in Shiva that seems odd for a preggers ratty Shocked

While Shiva was allowed to free range on one of the couches, while the boys took the floor (under very strict supervision Wink )

Ted happened to wander by the couch where Shiva was on. Shiva noticed Ted and was looking to interact. Thinking that Shiva might have missed the company I decided to watch and see what would happen... (and being very close by to intervene when needed)

Now Ted was very interested in Shiva, sniffing her private parts, which got Ted some kicking in the head. But what surprised me that Shiva in turn took a lot of interest in Teds torpedo's and seemed to tease Ted by keeping crawling under him and then kick the hell out of him, she would not leave him alone! Shocked

So at one point it looked that Ted was going to mount her and Shiva took on the well known pose for a female ready to receive Embarrassed

At that point I intervened (much to poor Teds dismay) and decided to keep Shiva in her cage as there was no stopping her doing the same "courtship ritual" (teasing Ted and kicking him)

Now from what I have been reading up, preggy girls take no interest in the boys... Confused

We had her now for a good 22 days, separated from the boys... I'll try and take a picture of her belly tonight (which doesn't seem to be very big at all) but her behaviour yesterday certainly made me go "hmmmmmm" Roll Eyes

Francois
Deactivated
Deactivated

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:47 pm

Please do not let them run together - it takes a second for mating to happen, and you are just tempting fate. If you do allow them to run together, it's as good as purposely breeding, and we will not allow you to advertise the babies here for homing either I'm afraid.

Give it another week to see if she has babies, some does can delay implantation etc. And that sort of behaviour with a buck is actually pretty normal for a doe, especially when she's not seen company properly in a while.

xx
Zoundz
Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Catz Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:39 pm

Agreed dont let them around each other! If she isn't pregnant you will be getting away very lucky..
Catz
Catz
Mentor
Mentor

Back to top Go down

Post by redrach Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:44 pm

Agreed.
Hopefully she's not. But don't tempt fate like that.
redrach
redrach
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by Francois Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:03 pm

Day 25 since we have Shiva in isolation. No belly, no nipples showing...

Francois
Deactivated
Deactivated

Back to top Go down

Post by Catz Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:16 am

I think you're off the hook then Smile You can start looking for a buddy for her now I'd say..
Catz
Catz
Mentor
Mentor

Back to top Go down

Post by Francois Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:25 am

I've been trying to get some pictures from Shiva, but you know how it is when you want a girl to pose... Tongue

boys or girls? IMAG0076

boys or girls? IMAG0082

boys or girls? IMAG0085

boys or girls? IMAG0088

boys or girls? IMAG0089

I got a good tip from someone to have some extra certainty. That is: touch her between the ears for the next 5 days, if at anytime her ears get trembling, it means she is in heat and not preggers (please, anyone, jump in if this is a bad test)

Meanwhile I am on the lookout for a doe friend for Shiva, the poor girl has been alone for almost 4 weeks now Cry , but it does look I dodged the bullet Smile

Francois
Deactivated
Deactivated

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:01 pm

touching her between the ears won't do much - but if you scratch her back end she'll hop forward and waggle her ears when she's in season Smile

She doesn't look pregnant anyway Smile I would definitely get her a friend now if you can find one anywhere! Smile

xx
Zoundz
Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down