Irish Rat Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dorothy is lonely and needs a female friend

+2
Zoundz
GillianK
6 posters

Go down

Dorothy is lonely and needs a female friend Empty Dorothy is lonely and needs a female friend

Post by GillianK Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:39 am

Its not yet been 24 hours since Blanche was pts, but Dorothy is already depressed. I thought as they didn't appear overly attached that she would be fine for a while but she has not touched her food today at all, even though I've put in all her favourites, cereals, eggs, chicken, lettuce and cheese, nothing is tempting her. Shes had free range but had just cuddled up to me and sat still, no grooming, just sitting there. When I put her back into the cage after free range, she checked every corner of the cage for Blanche and when she realised she wasn't there she just curled up in bed and has not come back out since. (she never went in there that much, always preferring to sleep on the platforms, but now she has been in there all day and won't leave)

I'm very worried she is depressed and will make herself sick if she doesn't eat. I wanted to wait a bit before getting another rat as I'm so down about Blanche's death and am not really in the mood in ways for running out and getting another but Dorothy's sadness is making me think I should get another sooner rather than later? I've looked on gumtree, donedeal etc but none going. I'm from Northern Ireland and drive, but I'd prefer not to travel too far, preferably within about 100 miles, if anyone knows of rats needing home, got to be female.
GillianK
GillianK
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Dorothy is lonely and needs a female friend Empty Re: Dorothy is lonely and needs a female friend

Post by Zoundz Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:27 am

Sad this can go either way, she might get over it quite quickly, or she might pine away and die herself Sad

I don't think I can be of any help, I couldn't be much further away, but I do hope you find something very soon Sad

xx
Zoundz
Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.irishrats.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Dorothy is lonely and needs a female friend Empty Re: Dorothy is lonely and needs a female friend

Post by GillianK Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:26 am

Well, I'd travel further if I had to. Went to Cork twice for 2 of my dogs. Really want to avoid the petshop route unless theres adoptions in there. Also want to avoid crappy 'breeders' like the woman I got Dorothy off. Hoping to either get a 'accidental mating' youngster, be amazing to get a well bred youngster I know there's a long waiting list for yours Laura (planning on putting name down for a pair when my 2 old finches pass away and I have room in my living room for a bigger cage) or rats which are unwanted.
GillianK
GillianK
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by redrach Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:29 am

When you searched on gumtree did you try 'Belfast'? There's 2 in Bangor, presumably female (I could maybe help with transport if you needed it).
I'll keep an eye out.
She does sound awfully down & that's how my Chandler went when Albie died, he died 5 days later Sad If you're planning on getting more rats in the future I'd def just try and get some asap really and hope she picks up again.
redrach
redrach
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by GillianK Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:19 am

I did look for Belfast but nothing came up. Tried again there and still couldn't find it. If you could post me the ad, that'd be great. I drive and have my own car so I'd be fine to get down, but thank you for the offer! I'd happily take a pair, so long as female that would suit me great. Yeah plan on always keeping rats. Can't see myself being without them now.
GillianK
GillianK
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by redrach Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:06 am

Odd :\ did you search 'rat' or 'rats'? They only come up with 'rats'. There's also some males on there (I'm assuming male because they're called Tom and Jerry). There's also 4 cages with these 2 (presumably) girls, one seems to be glass so would be useless. One's a blue rabbit cage by the looks of it which is handy as a retirement cage [if you were to get them and didn't want it, I'd probs like it if it's bigger than my current one]. The other 2 look like a Jenny, which is good and if you have a Jenny you could put this on top and attach the 2 as a double cage (I think I read on another post you're looking a bigger cage in the future to keep more ratties?). The last cage looks like a pretty small one.
In terms of £ I doubt they'd want much if you're not interested in any of the cages.
Hope they're still there for you!

http://www.gumtree.com/p/pets/2-rats-and-4-cages/106455189
redrach
redrach
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by GillianK Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:44 am

Ah I'd searched 'rat'. Thanks for sharing ad! I tried ringing but got no answer so I've sent a text asking if they are female and if they are available. Hopefully they get back to me. To be honest they are perfect, they are a year old so exactly the same age as Dorothy. They look like dumbos too and I love dumbos. One even looks like Blanche. :-)
GillianK
GillianK
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by redrach Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:48 am

Good, glad to help. I hope you get them, they look yummy.
redrach
redrach
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by smokierat Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:37 am

Hope you find some lovely friends for your little one Smile
smokierat
smokierat

Back to top Go down

Post by carol Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:06 am

if you dont find a girl ur welcome to take my girls an hugh cage they be 2 in feb i have 4 at mo but mo tumors are hugh now an i have 2 start thinking bout bringing her 2 vet im in work most of day an they not getting the attention they need an when i get home from that job iv taken on another evening one an no one else in my house likes the girls so dont let them out or talk 2 them an i feel so guilty just leavin them stuck in cage till a sunday wen i get 2 be with them ,

carol

Back to top Go down

Post by GillianK Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:27 pm

Aw, unfortunately (for me!) the 2 dumbo rats were taken yesterday. Aw well!

Carol, sounds a lovely offer, so sorry you're having to part with your girls. The thing is though, I wouldn't have room in my living room for a cage bigger than what I have until my 2 birds pass away (they are 7-years-old now and their cage takes up a good part of living room and sits next to the rat cage - not planning on keeping any birds after they die, they are little finches and I hadn't expected them to live beyond 4 or 5 but they keep singing on!) Once they pass on, I will have room for bigger cage for my rats. My current cage is supposed to house 4 rats. I've only ever kept 2 in it. I was thinking I could take 2 more, but putting 5 altogether in it wouldn't be ethical atm.
GillianK
GillianK
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by redrach Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:45 pm

Awh, that's a shame. Will keep my eyes peeled for any more!
redrach
redrach
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by redrach Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:47 pm

http://www.gumtree.com/p/pets/2-rats-for-sale-with-all-accessories/105967606

Did you see that one too?
It's an older ad, so they're prob gone by now too, but might be worth a try.
redrach
redrach
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by carol Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:08 pm

u dont have 2 take cage im sure sum one here would luv a hugh cage there would be 3 rats as i wouldent home mo with tumors they a bit over weight Roll Eyes but all sweet

carol

Back to top Go down

Post by GillianK Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:48 am

Redrach, I tried that ad too, but those rats have been rehomed too. Its such a shame as I'll be in Belfast tomorrow anyway so it'd have been so convenient! Never mind! :-)

Aw I see Carol, Well I might well be interested in the 3! The only thing is Dublin is quite a distance from me and would cost quite a bit in petrol to get there and back so in terms of finance and getting the time, it'd be much easier to get rats from Northern Ireland, Belfast direction as much closer as me or hubby go to Belfast quite a bit anyway for work. In fact I'll be going to Belfast tomorrow anyway. I'll give it some thought though and let you know within the week. I'm sure your girls are real sweethearts and would be brilliant company for my Dorothy. I'd take them in a second if it weren't for you being quite a distance from me. But I will talk it through with hubby. x
GillianK
GillianK
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by carol Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:43 am

i mite be able 2 get some one 2 meet u half way or in nury if ur intrested

carol

Back to top Go down

Post by carol Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:22 am

if ur still intrested in the girls my son can meet u sunday in nurey this wekend or next

carol

Back to top Go down

Post by redrach Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:40 pm

Hey Gillian,
Saw this one, not sure on gender though..

http://www.gumtree.com/p/pets/rat-with-big-cage-f35/107698950
redrach
redrach
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by GillianK Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:45 am

Rang it but its a male. :-(
GillianK
GillianK
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by GillianK Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:33 am

Going to look at 3 females in Donegal tomorrow. Not sure what they look like but they are about 13/14 months old and up for adoption!
GillianK
GillianK
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by GillianK Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:18 am

I now have 4 rats! Took the 3 females. Called them Betty, Bessie and Elsie and are sisters of about 14 months. Think they are brown hooded, they are small compared with Dorothy. Had to buy a few new beds etc for cage but all going well and Dorothy is delighted.
GillianK
GillianK
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by redrach Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:33 pm

YAY! I'm delighted for you and Dorothy!
redrach
redrach
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:55 pm

Good news! Grin Looking forward to seeing photos! Grin

xx
Zoundz
Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.irishrats.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by SaraBloo Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:47 pm

Awh! That's awesome. I really like their names. Smile
SaraBloo
SaraBloo
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by smokierat Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:03 am

Excellant News Big Grin
smokierat
smokierat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down