Irish Rat Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

1 Lonely Rat in Carrickmines Pet Shop

3 posters

Go down

1 Lonely Rat in Carrickmines Pet Shop Empty 1 Lonely Rat in Carrickmines Pet Shop

Post by FionaCassim Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:20 pm

Beautiful black and white young rat (unsure of sex, sorry). Just peering out at everyone, looking lost and lonely. On it's own in cage, desperately needs attention. Anyone interested??? I would take myself but have my hands full with ratlets at the moment!! Anyone who can give this little dote a loving home??!!
FionaCassim
FionaCassim

Back to top Go down

1 Lonely Rat in Carrickmines Pet Shop Empty Re: 1 Lonely Rat in Carrickmines Pet Shop

Post by Zoundz Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:44 pm

Just a heads up that buying from a petshop is not really rescuing... as soon as you buy a rat from a petshop, they get more in because it proves they sell. I know how hard it is to leave them there, but it's for the best and for the good of future rats to try never to even shop in shops that sell animals. I have hardened my heart to it - I don't even go into shops that sell animals because in my opinion it's wrong, and the only way they will ever stop is if people 'vote with their feet' and they're not making any money.

xx
Zoundz
Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.irishrats.co.uk

Back to top Go down

1 Lonely Rat in Carrickmines Pet Shop Empty Re: 1 Lonely Rat in Carrickmines Pet Shop

Post by katherine Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:56 pm

It is true that shopping there is only encouraging the shop to stock animals, they don't really make profits from the animals themselves, but they do from everything that goes with them, so Laura is right, that boycotting shops that sell animals is the best method. I can't say that I'm good at always doing that myself, but not working in one makes it easier Laugh However, I never buy animals from a petshop, and never have done because Laura's right, it may feel like rescuing, but in fact you are sending a message to the shops and breeders that it is worth breeding and selling more, and it is not done kindly.

It is difficult to have a hard heart in these cases, I understand.
katherine
katherine

Back to top Go down

Post by FionaCassim Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:34 pm

Hi guys,
Thanks for the replies...I know and agree wholeheartedly, but this little one's sad face really got to me. It's not their fault that they are sold in places that have no clue how to take care of them. I was close to tears when I left the store. My little ones at home have everything their hearts could desire and it makes me so very sad to see lonely baby rats in places like this...

You may remember me from before. I got one little baby rat and wanted another as a friend for him. By accident, I went into a pet shop in the city centre and saw one lonely tiny baby in a tank (this alone makes me mad), and the guy that owned the place pulled him out by the tail.. I bought him. I know, I know, I'm just adding tot he problem but I physically could not walk out and leave him to that fate. he was up to his neck in sawdust, no room to move around and no shelter.
His name is Merlin and while it has taken much longer to win his love,m he now can't leave me alone. I understand boycotting pet stores, but I think there is a severe lack of reputable breeders (Laura excluded of course!!)

I contacted the DSPCA about this particular pet shop and asked them to send an inspector to check the cruelty regulations. I heard nothing back and am still so angry about it.
Sorry for the rant!!!!

Any thoughts?
FionaCassim
FionaCassim

Back to top Go down

Post by katherine Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:03 am

You're completely right, and it is difficult because, as you say, it makes a difference to that one animal. I remind myself that if nobody bought animals from a petshop ever again, it would all stop overnight. Of course, this wont happen but the more attitudes change, the more it's reflected in the shops. Now I'm back living in the UK very few petshops sell animals any more because many people wont buy from petshops anymore, and this all happened within the last 10 - 20 years.... not that there aren't still awful petshops here too.

As far as contacting the DSPCA, nothing will happen, unfortunately. The cruelty, as we see it (and as it is) will not be recognised as such by the law, and that's what the DSPCA will judge it by. The conditions would have to be horrific before they didn't fall into the EU guidelines, and even then they can easily say, as it's a shop, that it is only temporary housing for the animals. Basically, unless the animal is in immediate danger of death, then sadly they're powerless to help Sad
katherine
katherine

Back to top Go down

Post by FionaCassim Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:06 am

Yes, I found out about the animal regulations the hard way! It really is ridiculous in this day and age, and to think that most people are just ignorant about rats and as a result, these adorable, clever, affectionate little animals are abused and mistreated...

And yes, you are right - although it's wrong to encourage the sale of rats in pet shops, I just have to smile when I see Merlin and how far he has come, from being so skittish and timid, to now racing up and down my arms and head and begging for treats!! I certainly don't condone the sale of rats, but I think every living animal deserves a chance at love..

Are there any other legit breeders aside from Laura in Ireland? Are they more plentiful in the UK have you noticed? I have noticed that the UK have much greater and harsher laws and penalties in place for animal cruelty than here in Ireland..
FionaCassim
FionaCassim

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:14 am

We hopefully have a new welfare bill coming in here soon - I've yet to read it all through, but I'm working on it. So far there are some promising things, my worry is that they will sting good breeders, as these things often do (yet still leave barbaric hunting practises completely legal!).

Currently we're still the only breeders who work like we do in Ireland... Sad

xx
Zoundz
Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by FionaCassim Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:29 am

I actually read the new Welfare Bill from start to finish! However, there are few changes really, and as you say, pose a potential threat to good legitimate breeders such as yourself... Ireland really needs to get with the times I think!!

If I were to get my next rats from yourself Laura, what would I need to do? Would I need to book? Also, I live in Bray - would they be ok with the long journey back home??

Thanks Smile
FionaCassim
FionaCassim

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:51 am

We have a waiting list (purely because we don't have many litters, 3-6 in a year usaully), and we do use an application form system, so we can help people more than anything, it's quite rare we turn someone down, the form simply acts as a way of us getting to know people more, and a good start to dsicussions about rat ownership.

Re traveling, they travel pretty well, and we have rats we've bred in most parts of the country at this stage Smile

if you do want to talk to me more about it, drop me an e-mail on zoundzy@hotmail.com

xx
Zoundz
Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by FionaCassim Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:57 am

Ok, great thanks for the info, will get back to you soon Smile
FionaCassim
FionaCassim

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down