Irish Rat Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Swollen wrist

3 posters

Go down

Swollen wrist Empty Swollen wrist

Post by limerickrats Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:31 am

Stoner has quite a swollen left wrist at the moment. I noticed it Thursday night and brought him to the vet on Friday. The vet couldn't find anything externally wrong so it doesn't appear to have been a bite. Stoner wasn't putting any weight on it. The vet said it could be broken and that we could x-ray the limb, but even if we found a fracture, treatment options would be limited anyhoo. So he just gave Stoner a shot of Metacam and I've kept him in the hospital cage with Harry with open access to the couch from the cage, so he can move about but doesn't have to climb anything and will rest it. It is still just as swollen looking as it was (to my eyes) but he is putting weight on it now, is moving around more than he was at first, appetite is okay and he is holding food with both paws. So I'm not sure what else I should do? I gave him two drops of oral Metacam last night and tonight, just in case he is in pain with it but giving him Metacam is not a great idea, given his age. Any suggestions, folks? You can see the swelling in this pic.

Swollen wrist Stoner1_zpsa4fb56bb
limerickrats
limerickrats

Back to top Go down

Swollen wrist Empty Re: Swollen wrist

Post by Zoundz Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:09 pm

I would say pain relief is a good idea, but not for long, and that it could be one of several things - cellulitis or septic arthrtitis are my two guesses - or just as easily could be a sprain or even a break. I wouldn't worry too much though, I suspect he'll be fine in a short bit! Smile

xx
Zoundz
Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.irishrats.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Swollen wrist Empty Re: Swollen wrist

Post by limerickrats Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:26 pm

Thanks Zoundz! Embarrassed 

The vet was no help at all, to be honest! Meh 
limerickrats