Irish Rat Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ranging behaviour

3 posters

Go down

Ranging behaviour Empty Ranging behaviour

Post by Francois Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:26 am

Ted and Jack are 2 brother of aprox 7 months old who get along swimmingly in their 3 level cage. Mosat of the time you will find them piled up, grooming each other and spats between them in the cage are a rarity. Jack is definitly the alpha and it seems that after a few spats in the eraly days, Jack's alpha status is firmly rooted and unchallenged by Ted. This changes when they free range... Confused

Now I do know that territorial behaviour can change a lot, depending of the "room" rats are in. Squabbelling rats will usually stop their territorial squabbles once the area is too small to fight over.

So far, we had a few scratches on the boys (mostly nail scratches) and they seem to box mostly, as I haven't seen them delivering bites to each other. Its always Jack that is chasing Ted around and Ted screaming in terror (tail shaking and all) Its hard to determin what triggers their spats as usually the first 10 minutes of ranging is where they go about their busisiness. Ted finds his defense in hiding behind our little electric stove and manages to fend Jack off. Jack has a rather unusual fighting method as to sidle up to Ted and side licking him. With Ted looking to get into narrow places, Jack is unable to get to his brother that way and it leads to a stand-off with Ted squeeking.

The odd thing is, when Jack gets tired of trying to kick Ted, Jack runs off with Ted following him, almost in a challenging way so Jack will turn around to deliver his famous roundhouse kick to send Ted flying. Laugh

Some other behaviours: They don't puff up as I have seen with some other ratties, but in the stand-offs their mouths are slightly opened (although I have not seen them delivering bites)

Jacks behaviour as alpha seems relaxed, just bounching around the place with no huffiness at all.

When I put them back into the cage after a spat, there seems to be the tense minute or 2 between them, but they always quiet down and end up grooming each other and pile up in a corner to take a cosy rat-nap. Smile

Its hard to say who or what is the cause of this, other that the size of the room is suddenly big enough for Ted either to challenge Jack, or Jack feeling the sudden need for zero tolerance towards Ted.

The girls cage is also in the room, so maybe having them in heat may cause this, although usually the boys are all over the girls cage (which caused bubbles to squeek and trying to bite the boys feet, while Shiva, being the boys sister, show polite interest)

Am I worried over nothing or is there something I should be alert off or can do to bring more peace during the ranging sessions? I feel sorry for Ted, but can't help thinking that Ted may bring this upon himself a bit as well. (and yes, Jack is our favourite boy, for being the big relaxed cuddle sack that he is)

Cheers

Francois

Francois
Deactivated
Deactivated

Back to top Go down

Ranging behaviour Empty Re: Ranging behaviour

Post by Zoundz Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:40 am

Sounds like pretty normal boy behaviour to me. The kick boxing is very normal, and if they're not all puffed up there's probably no serious anger/aggression involved. Might be an idea to block off any spaces that they can challenge each other over, such as spaces only one can get into, as if a fight does break out, it'll be hard to break it up.

xx
Zoundz
Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.irishrats.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Francois Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:14 pm

I figured as much Smile

But always good to hear I'm not squeeking up the wrong digging box. Laugh
They boys were good last night, no spats between them at all. I rarely would break up up squable, as I think its better to have all the territorial huffing out of the way and Jack seems content with his undisputed alpha state Smile

To the casual observer, boy brawls can sound horrific, especially with Ted squeeling like a pig over it. Grin

Nevertheless I keep an eye on it, just to make sure it doesn't go outside of the bounderies of your regular boyish muscle flexing Tongue

Francois
Deactivated
Deactivated

Back to top Go down

Post by smokierat Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:24 am

Its not just boys who get up to that kind of mischief either! Roll Eyes Evil Grin
smokierat
smokierat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down