Irish Rat Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Advice in administering medication to my rat

5 posters

Go down

Advice in administering medication to my rat Empty Advice in administering medication to my rat

Post by GillianK Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:55 am

Blanche has just been given more drugs as she is still sneezing and raspy and I'm so scared she'll get worse. So I got on phone to vet and told him I needed more antibiotics. One drug I've been given is Ronaxan 20mg. It says I must give one small piece of tablet crushed in 0.05ml water.

I also have 0.25 x Baytril 2.5% Oral per ml. I have to give 0.05 ml daily.

My question - give my rat crushed tablet! How will I manage that!? She fights terrible against me forcing anything into her mouth. But if she doesn't take these antibiotics, I think I'll lose Blanche. It's only a matter of time before she goes the same well Stella did, and I can't lose Blanche.

Any tips?
GillianK
GillianK
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Advice in administering medication to my rat Empty Re: Advice in administering medication to my rat

Post by Zoundz Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:02 am

Crush the tablet and cut it into the correct dose (I think I listed the dose on another thread) - and then mix one dose into something she likes the taste of and that masks it well, but *not* dairy as it stops the ronaxan from working. You also need to give the baytril separate to the ronaxan.

I also think the baytril dose is far too low, but I'm half asleep and will have to get back to you! Embarrassed Embarrassed

xx
Zoundz
Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.irishrats.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Advice in administering medication to my rat Empty Re: Advice in administering medication to my rat

Post by smokierat Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:48 am

Out of curiosity does dairy interfere with baytril?
smokierat
smokierat

Back to top Go down

Post by Lew Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:14 am

There's a thread here with some tips for getting rats to take meds. The tip for Baytril works fine with crushed tablets as well, as long as you crush the tablet nice and fine.
Lew
Lew
Technical Administrator
Technical Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:21 am

Baytril is unaffected by dairy. Correct dose is 0.15ml twice a day roughly for your girl. Are you sure the Baytril is 2.5%? If it's 10% baytril it'd be 0.05ml twice a day.

xx
Zoundz
Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.irishrats.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by limerickrats Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:25 am

In my experience with Ronaxan and cats, it tastes awful. I'd crush it between two spoons and then sprinkle it through (rather than on) something really smelly like mushed sardines or something sloppy that your rat really loves, like scrambled egg? The Ronaxan doesn't have to be mixed with water if she will take it sprinkled in the food.
limerickrats
limerickrats

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down