Irish Rat Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2-3 does needed Dublin

+3
Zoundz
Bekkles
Lanka
7 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

2-3 does needed Dublin - Page 2 Empty Re: 2-3 does needed Dublin

Post by Zoundz Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:44 am

I would aim to home them at 6 weeks - especially girls, they really need to learn stuff from mum until about then Smile

xx
Zoundz
Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.irishrats.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Lanka Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:03 am

That's fine, as long as I have them "booked" I dont mind waiting 2 more weeks. The only thing I would ask you,but u probably do it anyway,to start getting them used to be picked up etc. I want that transition to be as little stressful for them as possible. They will still probably poop on my hand first few times but oh well:/

Lanka

Back to top Go down

Post by Babs Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:45 am

Thanks Redrach. I think keeping just the one sex in future is the best, I love my rats but I really don't want to risk any more accidental litters because I couldn't decide whether I preferred keeping males or females!

6 weeks is fine then for the girls, thanks Zoundz. Smile I'm just keeping an eye on those boys, they're huge already! I can't get over how quickly they grow, it's fascinating to watch.

Yep, they're held for you. Don't worry about that, myself and my sister have been picking them up constantly! There's one female who for some reason is just so much more timid than the rest despite the fact we've always handled them all about equally, but she doesn't shy away from being picked up or anything. She just startles really easily at loud noises and such. I'll show you them all when you come to see them anyway and you can make your choice, they're all very sweet though. I haven't been pooped on by any yet and I handle them all daily, but I have been peed on a good few times!
Babs
Babs

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:17 pm

Of course, I would still separate the boys from the girls at about 4 weeks and 5 days to 5 weeks to be safe. The boys will be fine in whatever cage you can use as long as bar spacing is small enough Smile Even a reasonable sized hamster cage will be OK for a week or so.

xx
Zoundz
Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by redrach Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:29 am

I second what Zoundz said. When I had my accidental litters, over a year ago now, I separated the boys from the girls at 4.5 weeks. I kept them in a tiny hospital cage, but it was fine for them for the 2 weeks that they needed it. If you need any help sexing feel free to post pictures, though i'm sure you're well clued up by now and the boys' bits are hugely obvious by 4 weeks.
Keep us updated! Smile
redrach
redrach
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by Babs Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:20 am

Four weeks five days - got it! Thanks again Smile I've got a lot of spare cages out in the shed, so I can find one of those and have it cleaned up and cosy for them in the next few days.

Thanks Redrach, but yep, those boys are OBVIOUS! I was checking them a couple of days ago and wow. I've only got four boys in the whole litter, and three of those are dumbos. Some of them it took me a while to see that they actually weren't dumbos, because they wear their ears back a lot and it looks a bit like they're on the side of their heads. It's kind of hard to explain, but I'll try post a picture to show you guys because it is very cute, but it just looks strange!

Also, Zoundz, I was just wondering, can you tell if the kittens going to be black and white when they're older? Some of them are kind of lightening to a charcoal grey on their backs, they look a bit like Basil's colour, but the others seem to be holding the black and white. I've heard some rats fade over time to lighter colours, and I do think the husky colours are gorgeous on them.
Babs
Babs

Back to top Go down

Post by redrach Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:27 am

If you post some pics we can help with colours. Roans start off dark & then get light, actually, i think they're called husky too in the US?

Ps. Dumbos <3
redrach
redrach
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:12 am

They will probably all fade - some more than others Smile pics would help.

xx
Zoundz
Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by kirm Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:23 am

Hi there Babs

Just wondering if you would have two boys looking for loving homes? Our Pippin died suddenly last week and his brother Merry is pining for company - we think he's about 7 or 8 months old. We adopted them from Shanty here on Irish Rats.

thanks Smile

kirm

Back to top Go down

Post by kirm Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:24 am

Oh and we'd LOVE to see pics too Big Grin

kirm

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:57 am

Kirm, I have three adult boys here who are looking for a home at the moment (they were returned to us due to their owner moving abroad). If you're interested then you can e-mail me on zoundzy@hotmail.com (not to steal Babs's homes though, I just think she may have homed them all already).

xx
Zoundz
Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Babs Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:43 am

Hi Kirm, I'm really sorry, there was only four boys and I'm holding on to two myself and the other two only just went home with their new family today! Sorry about that, I'd have loved to have helped you.
Babs
Babs

Back to top Go down

Post by kirm Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:07 am

Aw bad timing sorry about that, but great that they have a family to go to.

Laura thanks so much, those are gorgeous boys but we won't be anywhere near Cork, we're in Kildare Cry

kirm

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:21 am

Sorry about that Sad I do insist new people come down to meet us so we can see how they are with the rats. If you can get down though, then it's not so far, and you're more than welcome here Smile

xx
Zoundz
Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Babs Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:31 am

If I happen across any boys looking for homes, I'll let you know. Smile
Babs
Babs