Irish Rat Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Black lump Where my rat got an injection.

3 posters

Go down

Black lump  Where my rat got an injection. Empty Black lump Where my rat got an injection.

Post by Rizzo Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:59 am

I am really freaked out because I brought Gary into the vet with respy problems. The vet gave him an injection and he has a bit of a lump where he got it. I thought it was normal enough until It was noticably bigger this morning, and i had a good look at it and there's a huge black mark the size of a 2 cent coin. Is this normal? Is it bruising. I'm so worried.........
Rizzo
Rizzo

Back to top Go down

Black lump  Where my rat got an injection. Empty Re: Black lump Where my rat got an injection.

Post by katherine Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:01 am

It's probably a baytril burn. I'm assuming it was baytril the vet injected of course. It's a normal reaction to the antibiotic, they shouldn't really inject it if it can be given orally unless it's a real emergency. Leave it to run it's natural course and scab up. Don't fuss with it as I know some people on here had issues with the site bleeding tremendously after the scab being picked off.
katherine
katherine

Back to top Go down

Black lump  Where my rat got an injection. Empty Re: Black lump Where my rat got an injection.

Post by Zoundz Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:41 am

Yes - do everything in your power to stop the scab being knocked off. This is why most people say you should never inject baytril except in absolute life and death cases. I don't really hold with that, but there are ways of doing it so that this doesn't happen.

xx
Zoundz
Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.irishrats.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Rizzo Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:09 am

No way. I was Going to bring him in and complain but as it's a natural reaction to the Baytril I'm very suprised that they'd inject him with it when i am giving him the treatment in his water. It's very un-necessary. He was injected with it the last time he was in but never bruised (not that I know of). Phew I'm very relieved Grin. Thanks everyone...
Rizzo
Rizzo

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down