Irish Rat Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cash has another lump :(

+2
smokierat
limerickrats
6 posters

Go down

Cash has another lump :( Empty Cash has another lump :(

Post by limerickrats Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:24 am

I spotted it last night, on the same side, but this time it's behind her elbow. It's only come up since the weekend and it's already sizeable.

I tried not to think about it too much today because the thought of losing her brings tears to my eyes. I love her so much.

The question is, what is the right thing to do by her now? I don't think surgery is an option - I couldn't put her through it again and the likelihood is she'll get more lumps regardless.

Seeing how quickly the other lump grew and how quickly her health declined with it, I don't think I have much time to work out the best thing to do for her.

Maybe I'm being overly-pessimistic, but I have to think about euthanising her before she gets unwell with it. How do you humanely euthanise a rat?

Aisling Cry
limerickrats
limerickrats

Back to top Go down

Cash has another lump :( Empty Re: Cash has another lump :(

Post by smokierat Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:43 am

Im really very sorry to hear that Sad my little one Tuffy has had two lumps since before Christmas,and theyve been getting steadily bigger Sad we finally just came to the decision that we wouldnt risk an op because of the health issues her siblings have had,shes outlived them all and their lumps came back repeatedly as well.So its just a case of waiting to see how she goes.its just never easy to have to think about making that decision,my heart goes out to you ((hug)) theres a few different ways that pet owners and vets prefer,it also depends on how aware the rattie is.I prefer the method where they are given an anaesthetic first to put them under,and then an injection to stop their heart.Some vets just administer that injection,without the gas (i could be wrong but i think it may be an injection in to the heart) which doesnt sound very nice,but if a rattie is fairly well 'gone' already theres a good chance they wont feel or be aware of it.Its really an individual choice,i personally wouldnt say theres a 'wrong' one if you look at it as a moment to end their suffering,some say the gas upsets some of them but like i said i prefer it.Its the one we chose for my Ralfie Rat before Christmas (i dont think my vet would do the other one actually,he would be of the same opinion as me) i chose it as quite a few of my ratties had had the isoflourine gas for ops during their lifetimes,including Ralf and seemed completely unaffected by it so i thought it would be a peaceful way to go Love
And again,i would just watch her general behaviour and health for signs when the right time is as hard as that is to do-you obviously love her very much,and thats reflected in your care of her,she knows she is loved Smile thats all anyone of us can do.
Im sure people will know more about it,and hopefully post to help you but thats my experience of it for what its worth xx
smokierat
smokierat

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:59 pm

Sad

Several options open to you - you could try lump removal and spay, to see if she comes through the operation, and the lumps may not come back after a spay - but that's not guaranteed. You could just keep her going until the lump is too big/close to ulcerating, by which point it's kinder to put to sleep. Don't run away with the idea that you have to put to sleep nearly straight away - sometimes these lumps grow big but then stop - and a rat can live a pretty long and decent life, even with the lump. I would just keep a close eye on the situation, and when you feel she's had enough, or that she can't get around because of the lump, or that she's just tired of life generally - that's when it's time really. In terms of how - I prefer injected sedative (scruff or back leg) - wait until the rat is pretty out of it and disorientated, and then inter peritoneal, I find best way is the finest syringe the vet can manage it with, and you hold the rat up, belly showing to the vet, and blow gently on the face to distract them - they never even squeak, they just don't feel it.

(((((((((hug))))))))) whatever you decide, good luck.

xx
Zoundz
Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.irishrats.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by GillianK Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:53 pm

The first thing I'll say is it is entirely up to you. We all have our different ways of knowing what is best for our pets. But I will tell you what I did for my rat in the same situation.

My rat Stella had a respiratory infection in October/November last year and was given antibiotics and seemed to recover from it well.

Over Christmas she seemed fine, she had a big Christmas dinner and I was happy with her but had noticed she was thinner than Blanche, her sister. I presumed it was the aftereffects of the infection and that she would put on weight again. After all, she was eating well.

Then in the days after Christmas she started to go off her food completely and her weight dropped dramatically, her coat also lost condion. I phoned the Vets who were closed over the Christmas period, and got an appt for just after New Year.

On New Years Eve morning she seemed a little better and was eating banana so I felt a bit better that she was eating and then she went to her little bed and curled up next to Blanche and slept all day. That evening I went to check on her, she wasn't with Blanche, she was in her tunnel and was so weak she couldn't even lift her head. So I booked an emergency appt with the vet on that night. When I took her in she was thin, weak and the vet was considering more antiobiotics, when he felt a lump on the right side of her tummy. He said it was cancer and so told me she'd not live much longer and that he'd recommend euthanasia.

I was very upset about it of course but felt it was in Stella's best interests. So the vet anaesthetised her till she was unconscious and she was laid on her back and injected with a chemical (I don't know what it was) into her heart. She died very soon after and as she was unconscious didn't even know what had happened.

It's a difficult thing to do of course but, and this is MY opinion and may not be yours, but I believe that an animal should always have a quality of life. How long they live is not as important as how well they live. My Stella was only 17 months old but apart from the last days when she was ill, she had a very happy life, as I'm sure Cash is having with you. If it gets to the stage where despite medical intervention Cash is suffering and will likely die anyway, my thoughts are it is best to euthanise to prevent further suffering and to give her a humane end where you can hold her and talk to her right until the end. Although it is such a difficult decision, it is a kindness that you would do for her. What better way to show your love than letting her go and preventing further suffering even though making that very decision will cause you to suffer.

However ... this is entirely your choice. Some people prefer not to euthanise, some prefer to and noone could ever tell you what to do. The best person to speak to regarding this is your vet who will be able to tell you what he/she feels is in the best interests of Cash. I hope this helps/reassures a little. I am very worried about my Blanche atm. She's back on antibiotics as she has a respiratory infection which has been going on for 6 weeks now and is showing little sign of improving despite antibiotics. It's difficult owning these little animals, they just don't live as long as they should. :-(

Let us know how she is. Laura gave you some options to think about. Whatever decision you make, don't make it in haste. Thinking of you and Cash.

Gillian
GillianK
GillianK
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:11 pm

Thinking of you at this time of worry and anxiety. As Laura says, let things run for a little while, keeping an eye on her, don't panic and decide too hastily. Steve

Steve

Back to top Go down

Post by katherine Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:41 pm

Aw I'm very sorry to hear this Sad Everyone else has said it really just keep an eye on her and you'll know when the time is right, I probably wouldn't risk a second op if it was one of mine but unless you know the rat you can't say.

With Monty the vet did the inter-peritoneal, which I asked him for because I knew Monty would be freaked out by being put in a box for gas (because when he had to go in for an inhaler he hated it and really freaked Sad ). The vet hadn't done it that way before so wasn't very confident but he took it very gently and gave him enough to make him woozy, stopping when Monty started to squeak, then once he was under he gave him the rest. It was very sad and I was upset that he squeaked a little but honestly it wasn't much and he went very peacefully after the initial injection. I think it is all about knowing the vet and the animal when it comes to chosing the right way for you. I sympathise Sad
katherine
katherine

Back to top Go down

Post by limerickrats Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:17 am

Thanks everyone for your advice and kind thoughts. I was too upset to reply but read everything you all posted.

I wish I didn't have to come back to this thread so soon. The lump doesn't seem to be getting any bigger but I came home tonight to find that Cash has begun to lose control of her hind legs. She's had a very porphy eye since yesterday, which is not something she ever had before. I am meeting my vet tomorrow and will ask her to put Cash to sleep. I can't watch her suffer.
limerickrats
limerickrats

Back to top Go down

Post by GillianK Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:50 am

I am so very sorry you have had to come to this difficult decision. But if she is suffering, I believe it is the right thing to do. I will be thinking of you and Cash tomorrow evening. xxx
GillianK
GillianK
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by smokierat Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:23 am

Sorry to hear this Cry there's not much I can say except you'll be in all of our thoughts (((((((hug))))))))
smokierat
smokierat

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:51 pm

:*( (((((((((hug)))))))))) I'm so sorry you've had to come to that decision Aisling :*(

xx
Zoundz
Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:55 pm

So sorry Ashling to hear the sad news, thinking of your and sending you support during this difficult time for you, remember you have given the very best of love and care, well done, Steve

Steve

Back to top Go down

Post by katherine Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:20 am

I'm so sorry to hear this Sad Poor girl. You're in my thoughts *hug*
katherine
katherine

Back to top Go down

Post by limerickrats Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:11 pm

You've all been so kind.

Cashie passed away very peacefully yesterday. Taking your advice, she had a shot of anaesthetic (ketamine and domitor) and then when that had taken effect she had the Dolethal. Neither shot seemed to hurt or distress her at all, which was a huge blessing. I discovered there was another tumour forming right next to where the previous tumour had been removed, and it was this new tumour that was affecting her ability to walk.

I would have been a very bad owner if I hadn't immediately stepped in to euthanise her when it was clear she was losing her quality of life. Knowing it was the right thing to do made it easier, although I did cry a world of tears the night before.

If I ever have another ratty with a tumour, I think I'll know better than to put her through surgery. I'm glad I had some extra time with Cash but the time it bought her probably wasn't worth the impact of the surgery on her.

She's at peace now anyways, my little love. x x x
limerickrats
limerickrats

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:24 am

I'm so sorry Ais Sad it's horrible (((hug))) don't be put off always having surgery though, sometimes it goes very well and can be a great extension to their life - it can be hard and even impossible to know when that is though. We had Bella's tumour removed about a year ago - actually, maybe even a little over that now - and she's still doing very very well indeed. Has another one now, at over 2, but it's not causing her any trouble, and she's done very well! Smile

xx
Zoundz
Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by smokierat Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:29 am

Don't feel bad,at least you gave her a chance.my heart goes out to you Aisling,you did right by her and gave her the care and love she deserved in life,that's all anyone can do xx
smokierat
smokierat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down