Irish Rat Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Advise for a newbie

3 posters

Go down

Advise for a newbie Empty Advise for a newbie

Post by susie.peky Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:50 am

Hi all. So I go 2 girl rats a little over a week ago and they're both rescues. My 6 month old is just fine she got used to me almost straight away. She occasionally sneezes but that happens rarely.
It's my 3 month old Pam I'm concerned about. From the start she's been afraid of me, but since a few days she got used to the fact that opened cage = food and yesterday for the first time she ran around on my hands a little. But since yesterday night she became really skiddy, nervous and stressed and even the slightest move makes her jump. She runs around the room like mad and if I cough or sneeze she runs straight to her cage. She also acts very uneasy and can't seem to relax even when sleeping.
SHe also gets freaquent hiccups usually after eating something really fast, but not always (I understand it to be hiccups since her whole body twitching - which freaked me out btw - apparently means that). However there is no sounds during her episodes or wheezing when she breathes. I'm so paranoid from reading all those health problems they have that even a small change of behaviour just flips me out!
Pammie has also been sneezing (little "pss" sounds) but started sneezing even more since yesterday and I have a suspicion that it might me the new t shirt I gave them (I read it's better if they have something of your scent in the cage) could she be sneezing from the detergent?

If I need to have them visit a vet then I will, but could you recommend any vet in Dublin area and tell me roughly the prices for consultation/ treatment just so I am prepared.
Thank you!

susie.peky

Back to top Go down

Advise for a newbie Empty Re: Advise for a newbie

Post by Zoundz Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:39 pm

Sneezing is fairly common, especially in a new home environment - so I wouldn't rush them to the vet without other apparent symptoms - though it can be helpful to have someone with experience have a check for you. Perhaps see if anyone on here is local enough to you to have a look? Smile

Nerves are just something that will improve with time and careful handling. Just keep working at it, you'll get there! Smile

xx
Zoundz
Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.irishrats.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggerdawg Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:49 am

I'm a newbie too and my lads are with me just about 10 days now so don't take what I saw as gospel as I'm not experienced but I've seen very similar behaviours here as they first settled in but this is definitely calming down now. Lots of sneezing from one in particular and being skittish. So I think it could be similar with your girls. My 'sneezer' still sneezes occasionally but nowhere near as much now.

Diggerdawg

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down